Peter Twist Resume
- 11 years veteran NHL Conditioning Coach and Exercise Physiologist for the Vancouver Canucks (Stanley Cup finalists 1994)
- President and CEO of Twist Conditioning Incorporated (www.twistconditioning.com)
- Former President of the Hockey Conditioning Coaches Association.
- Former NSCA provincial director for British Columbia
- Head Strength & Conditioning Coach University of British Columbia 1990-93 (UBC athletics was ranked #1 in Canada 91/92)
- Associate Director of Recreation UBC 1988-90
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Coeditor of the Journal of Hockey Conditioning and Player Development (1993-98) with Lorne Goldenberg.
- Author of Complete Hockey Conditioning book (1996, Human Kinetics Publishers)
- Co-author of The Physiology of Ice Hockey book (1992, UBC Press) with Dr. Ted Rhodes.
- Author of 4 chapters in High Performance Sport Conditioning book (2001, Human Kinetics Publishers), editor Bill Foren.
- Co-author of Functional Training chapter for Can-Fit-Pro Certification (2005) with Mo Hagen.
- Co-author of Strength Ball Training book (2002, Human Kinetics Publishers) with Lorne Goldenberg.
- Twist has published over 400 papers on sport-specific conditioning for industry publications in Canada, USA, Australia and the UK.
- Authored 8 BOSU DVD’s on Sport-Specific Conditioning (golf, football, basketball, baseball, soccer, hockey, tennis, skiing) with Douglas and Candice Brooks. Authored 3 hockey-specific videos for the NSCA.
- Co-authored 5 Sport Conditioning DVD’s (2005) with Andrew Clark.
- Co-authored 4 Sport Conditioning Competitive Edge DVD's (2007) with Andrew Clark & Nicole Lark
- Coauthored Strength Ball 2 Book (Human Kinetics Publishers 2006) with Lorne Goldenberg.
- Co-authored Strength Ball DVD (Human Kinetics Publishers 2006) with Lorne Goldenberg.
- Authored Complete Hockey Conditioning 2 (Human Kinetic Publishers 2006).
- Authored Complete Hockey Conditioning DVD (Human Kinetics 2006).
- Co-author of Twist Conditioning Inc. Sport Movement (Level 1 + 2) , Sport Strength (Level 1 + 2) , and Sport Balance (Level 1) certifications, delivered to coaches, trainers, teachers and medical professionals across Canada, USA, Australia and the UK.
- Headline presenter at major North American sport and fitness conferences: Can-Fit-Pro, ECA, IDEA, NSCA, SWIS plus conferences in Japan, Australia, Spain and UK.
- Delivery of specialty workshops for physiotherapists, chiropractors, coaches, trainers, school PD Days and athletes.
- McMaster University BPE first class honors
- University of BC Masters of Coaching Science (specialization in exercise physiology and sport psychology), MSc first class honors
- National Strength & Conditioning Association – Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
- Can-Fit-Pro – Personal Trainer Specialist (PTS)
- Twist was the 2008 recipient of the Business Excellence Award- Business Person of the Year
- Consultant for EA Sports (Electronic Arts) sport action video games.
- Fitness and sport consultant for made for TV skiing oriented movie (Tori Spelling had role of injured skier rehabilitating for return-to-competion)
- Hockey Testing and Strength and Conditioning consultant for Making The Cut, a reality TV docudrama (2004).
- Twist was the 1998 recipient of the National Strength and Conditioning Association's President's Award given annually to a North American coach for his contributions to the NSCA’s efforts at sport-fitness education and athlete development.
- Awarded Can-Fit-Pro’s 2003 Specialty Presenter of the Year Award for Twist’s sport conditioning paradigm.
- Nominated for ECA’s International Presenter of the Year Award (ceremony in New York in March 2004)
Twist has coached over 700 professional athletes, including Hakeem Olajuwon, Mark Messier, Pavel Bure, Markus Naslund, Trevor Linden, Mike Peca, Alexander Mogilny, Mattias Ohlund, Bryan McCabe, Arturs Irbe, Bill Randford, Tim Hunter, Ed Jovonovski and Justin Morneau.
- Trained Markus Naslund, Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin in Ornskolsvik, Sweden (2001, 2002)
- Twist Conditioning currently trains athletes from: rugby, football, lacrosse, soccer, baseball, skiing, snowboarding, motor cycle racing, skateboarding, mountain biking, basketball, hockey, rowing, netball, golf, ringette, tennis, adventure racing, snow shoeing, triathlons, ping pong, squash, motocross along with the Canadian National Women’s Soccer Team.
- Pro athlete experience includes:
- pre-draft scouting evaluations
- draft day activities
- running post-draft rookie camps
- running on-ice practices and on-field SAQ conditioning for rugby, soccer, football and on court drills for basketball and tennis.
- off-season programs and in-season workouts
- physiological assessments at main camp
- post-game workouts
- road trip workouts
- injury rehabilitation and re-conditioning
- diet assessments and nutrition consulting
- sport psychology (visualization, mental rehearsal, goal setting),
- team building activities
- screening player’s improvement potential for potential drafting
- working with minor league teams and drafted players
- a run to game 7 of the NHL Stanley Cup finals are part of Twist’s pro experience.
- From newly drafted players, to players returning from serious injury, to veteran players positioning for additional career years, Twist knows the challenges elite players face – and the solutions.
- Twist developed North America’s only coach and trainer certification for sport-specific conditioning with an emphasis on speed, agility, quickness, balance, reaction skills whole body closed kinetic chain strength, and movement skills.
- Twist successfully opened their first franchised Twist Sport Conditioning Centre in Burlington, Ontario in 2007. In 2008 Twist opened franchise locations in Whitby, and Ottawa.
- Today Twist Conditioning Inc. has 4 main divisions: Products (retail and wholesale); Education (books, articles, lectures, certifications, conferences); Training (programs and camps), Franchises (Twist Sport Conditioning Centre) and employs over 30 full time and part time staff. Twist Conditioning Inc. is owned and operated by Peter Twist.
Twist’s philosophy is to build people as well as athletes and coaches, and create a culture and environment conducive to these goals. The blend of leading edge content and training, along with the positive and supportive culture, is evident in veteran NHLer’s and NHLPA President Trevor Linden’s September 2003 Province Sports page interview:
“Twist has by far the best sport-specific training I’ve ever seen,” says Linden. “From an innovation and attitude standpoint, its different worlds. I’ve played in Washington, New York and Montreal and they weren’t even close. Training in the last 10 years has been completely revolutionized”. (Trevor Linden, September 2003)
And his camp brochure testimonial “Each year Peter Twist creates new innovative exercises that produce even better on-ice performance. Importantly, the coaching style and training environment are extremely positive and motivating”. (Trevor Linden, May 2003)
« Back to Peter Twist